How to Care for Porcelain Veneers
Posted on November 23, 2019
San Francisco patients absolutely love their porcelain veneers because of how easy they are to maintain and care for. Here are some helpful tips for caring for your veneers:
- Keep up oral hygiene – Patients should continue to brush and floss their teeth just like before. Keeping your teeth healthy is just as important with porcelain veneers as without. Regular brushing and flossing will keep your teeth and gums healthy so that your smile and your veneers look flawless. Even though the porcelain itself will not get cavities or stain, your teeth underneath still need good oral hygiene.
- Eat what you want – While porcelain veneers are incredibly durable, they are not quite as strong as your natural teeth. However, patients can enjoy any and all foods just as they would with their natural teeth.
- Non-food items – For patients that chew on pen caps, bite their nails, or use their teeth to open things, these habits can cause chips and cracks in your veneers that are difficult to repair. Make sure you keep all non-food items out of your mouth so that your veneers last for as long as possible.
- Grinding – Grinding your teeth at night is referred to as bruxism. If you suffer from bruxism, you should make sure to wear a retainer at night to protect your teeth and your porcelain veneers. Patients of the Financial District and Embarcadero areas of San Francisco that brux at night can crack or break off their porcelain veneers because the pressure is so great.
- Stains – While the porcelain of the veneers is highly resistant to stains, the cement that is used to bond the porcelain to the teeth is not. Patients should talk to about how they can avoid accumulating stains around the edges of their porcelain veneers from beverages and foods like wine, coffee, tea, berries, and tomato sauce.
Learn about the benefits of veneers by clicking here!