Could I Be a Candidate for Invisalign?
You may have heard that Invisalign can straighten your teeth without the bulky metal of braces. While it is effective for many patients, it is not necessarily the right treatment for everyone. If you want to improve your smile, Invisalign could be the right treatment option for you. Find out if you’re a candidate for Invisalign treatment.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment that straightens teeth using clear aligners that gently shift the teeth into the proper position. Treatment consists of a series of aligners that are designed to make small movements. Each aligner is worn for 1 week before switching to the next in the correct order. Once you have worn all of the aligners in the set your teeth should be in the desired position.
Benefits of Invisalign
There are many benefits that Invisalign can offer:
- Invisible. The aligners fit over the teeth and are very discreet, allowing you to straighten your teeth without the look of braces.
- Comfortable. The smooth plastic aligners are comfortable and won’t cause irritation of the soft tissues of your mouth.
- Convenient. Invisalign is also convenient, as you can take your aligners out to eat and clean your teeth.
- Fast. Dr. Skoulas will usually finish most cases in 8 months or less.
What Makes Someone an Ideal Candidate for Invisalign?
Invisalign is a highly effective treatment in most cases. 90% of people with malalignment are a candidate for invisalign. An ideal candidate for Invisalign may have:
- Mild to moderate bite misalignment (overbite, underbite, crossbite, or open bite).
- Teeth that are slightly crooked or crowded.
- Small gaps/spaces between the teeth.
What Are the Limitations of Invisalign?
Invisalign cannot correct every orthodontic problem. 10% of cases will not work with invisalign. Some cases may not be treatable with Invisalign, such as:
- Severe bite misalignment such as an underbite with crossbite.
- Teeth that need to be rotated more than 20 degrees in the socket.
- Teeth that need to be moved up or down within the jaw.
- Abnormal shape of the jaw.
These orthodontic situations may require braces to shift the teeth into proper alignment and achieve the necessary results. In severe cases maxillofacial surgery may be required to change the shape of the jaw in order to correct bite misalignment and crowding.
How Can I Find Out If I'm a Candidate for Invisalign?
In order to determine if you are a candidate for Invisalign, an evaluation will need to be done by your dentist. Your dentist may be able to tell right away that you are or are not a candidate for Invisalign. If it is not immediately obvious, a 3D digital scan will need to be taken and entered into the Invisalign computer software. Based on this information, a recommendation can be made for the best course of treatment to achieve the best results.
Frequently Asked Questions About Invisalign
Is Invisalign a Cosmetic Treatment?
Invisalign is sometimes categorized under cosmetic dentistry because it can improve the appearance of your smile. But it also serves an orthodontic purpose because aligning your teeth and bite improves your oral health in a variety of ways.
Can Invisalign correct an underbite?
If your upper row of teeth meet behind the lower row of teeth when you bite down, you have an underbite. Invisalign is capable of correcting mild underbites in some cases. It is necessary to have your bite evaluated by your dentist to determine if Invisalign would be able to provide the desired results.
Skoulas DDS Provides Invisalign
Are you ready to find out if you’re a candidate for Invisalign? Schedule a consultation with Skoulas DDS today to get started. After a consultation and evaluation we can determine if Invisalign is the right orthodontic treatment for you.